PACE Fuel Assistance administers the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), a federal program that helps low income individuals and families with heating costs during the winter months. If eligible, Fuel Assistance will help pay a portion of winter heating bills. Homeowners and renters, including those whose heat is included in their rent, can apply for fuel assistance.
Can't pay your utility bills? Behind on paying your gas bill?
The Fuel Assistance Program at PACE serves resident members of:
- New Bedford
If you are from another community in Massachusetts, please find additional Fuel Assistance Programs at MASSCAP Fuel Assistance Directory
If you have already sent in your documentation, please allow us 4-6 weeks to process them. If you applied previously but have not yet sent in this year’s application, please review the application that has been mailed to you and follow the instructions to complete and return.
If you are a first-time client or are experiencing a heating emergency, please call us at 508-525-4271 and we will answer or call back as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding.
Eligibility for assistance to pay your fuel bill is based on gross annual income and household size.
NOTE: For household sizes larger than 6, please speak with a Fuel Assistance staff member and mention your household size.
For More Information
For more information about the Heating System Repair and Replacement Program (HEARTWAP) or the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP), Visit the following link.
New Applicant ONLINE Application
- Applicants may save their information and return to it at a future date.
- Please be sure to include all members of your household on your application, including children.
- Your benefit is determined by the number of people who live in the household and your combined income.
- For faster processing, online applicants should be prepared to upload supporting documents listed below from your phone, tablet or computer. It is strongly recommended to have them with you before you start the process.
- You may also mail or email documents to PACE after you submit the application.
- A Mail Drop Box is also available at 261 Union Street, New Bedford Please note, given the volume of applications we receive it can take some time for your application to be processed.
Please note, given the volume of applications we receive it can take some time for your application to be processed.
Please be patient. You can check the status of your application through our automated phone system by calling 508-525-4271 and follow the voice prompts. If you need more information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is a checklist of information necessary to process your application. Additional information may be required.
- What to Bring Application
- Source of Income Application
If you qualify for fuel assistance, you may also qualify for the Heating System Repair and Replacement Program (HEARTWAP), the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP), and/or the Appliance Management Program (AMP). (HEARTWAP) is a program that exists to repair or replace primary heating systems, (WAP) helps clients install attic and/or wall insulation and perform air sealing to prevent loss of heat, and (AMP) services clients by replacing older, inefficient appliances such as refrigerators and freezers (electricity usage must be reviewed by an auditor first). If you are interested in any of these programs, please mention this to the fuel assistance staff member who assists you in your application process.